Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Surveys Indicate that 99% of Americans…

Everyone wants to be well and healthy. Surveys indicate that 99% of Americans list health as one of the two most important aspects of their lives. The Chiropractic profession and the staff at Maximized Health have embraced the concept of health promotion, asserting that what we really do in Chiropractic care is to optimize Health. Toward that purpose we have been exploring ways to optimize our health and the quality of our lives in relation to wellness.

Wellness can be described as the full living of a healthy life at all levels: physically, emotionally, socially, intellectually and spiritually, as these dimensions of ourselves interact synergistically. You'll need to develop a road map that provides the vision and direction to successfully navigate this domain while finding joy in the journey.

Personal wellness planning provides a powerful individualized method that helps us transform the quality of our lives and achieve optimal wellness. Dimensions of wellness that you may incorporate in a personal wellness plan include: spinal and neurobiological balance, physical fitness, optimal nutrition, intellectual development, emotional and social wellness and spirituality. Goals set in each dimension should be simple, clear and measurable.

To help illustrate this for you, I will share my personal wellness plan below (my escape plan from the “sick care” system):

My Personal Wellness Plan
For a fit, 34-year-old, very active American male chiropractor and wellness fanatic, who teaches health empowerment.

Purpose: To empower myself in wellness so that, by the grace of God, I can serve others to a higher level of healthy living.

Chiropractic/Neurobiological Balance: I get checked for spinal and structural alignment/balance weekly; get adjusted as needed. Perform my stretching daily for my spine and traction when necessary.

Exercise Activity: I average 30-60 minute workouts, 6-7 days per week. I incorporate strength, endurance, flexibility and coordination/integration activities. My specific activities include running up to 15 miles per week and/or using other cardio-machines, free-weight and machine resistant training and stretching exercises. I work core musculature (abs, back, glutes, thighs) intensively at least three times per week. Because I have a physically demanding job and plenty of people that rely of my level of physical fitness, I am dedicated to maintaining my body.

Diet: I try to make healthy choices daily. I keep healthy and fresh food available around the home and office, and discard foods that tempt me when I'm low on energy. Usually, my daily diet includes fruit in the morning, fresh vegetables in salad or steamed with lean meat for lunches and dinners. I also ensure that I take in one to one-and-a-half liters of pure water per day. I also take high quality supplements rich in Anti-oxidants and especially omega-3 Fatty acids. I keep low quantities of starches, such as rice, pasta and rarely eat bread and potatoes.

Rest: I try to average 7-8 hours of sleep per day. Some days I get 6 hours and others I get 9 for balance. I go to bed early. Since the mind is programmed in the early morning and late evening, I read great things during that time. I also avoid the news which is mostly negative and is what people do first thing in the morning and last thing at night.

Intellectual Development: I explore new possibilities relative to health promotion ad self-improvement by reading newsletters, texts and journals or listening to thought provoking speakers and authors. Even with a busy day, I am able to incorporate about 20-60 minutes of reading and conducting research related to Chiropractic, wellness and health promotion.

Family: I affirm, love, honor and pray for my family members daily. I'll spend at least 1-3 hours of quality, one-on-one time with my wife daily.

Spirituality: I dedicate about 20-30 minutes toward my spiritual inspiration daily often times while getting ready for the day. I give thanks daily for the abundance that we have in this life. I live my purpose daily, helping others to achieve better health so that they can serve their life mission with better energy.

Try making a trial plan which fits you, uniquely. Go for it! Capture your own imagination, and then make it real. If you have any questions about wellness planning, e-mail me at drcraig@maximizedhealth.net

Speak Up and Educate Others,


Dr. Craig Burns

Read the 1st Page: " Will You Escape the Sick Care System?"