Monday, January 12, 2009

How Do You Plan on Making This Year Better?

It is a new year, and I hope you plan on making it one of your happiest and healthiest ever. The New Year Mentality is so powerful isn’t it? People make plans, revisit their goals and their dreams – and start the new year with hope and excitement.

With the onset of a new year I would like to share with you a powerful concept, a personal point of view that I think you will appreciate. I call it the “Better Tomorrow Than Today Mentality”. I think it fits nicely with the New Year Resolution Mentality and it goes something like this…

What can I do for my mind and my body to be better tomorrow than I am today? In what areas of my life could I improve to bring a higher level of health and happiness into it?

Many of today’s leading health professionals share a vision for their patients and clients… to help them be healthier and happier in the future than they are currently. Unfortunately, I have found that many people are stuck in a mental state that says it is normal and/or inevitable for our body and our health to get worse with time- not better. The truth is… this is just a trend that we see in our society. This is not a medical fact!

It is true, the body will age. But, what we are seeing is an out of control trend of accelerated aging. This ugly process is not necessarily a function of age. Instead, it is the result of subjecting our body to poor conditions and unhealthy circumstances for too long a period of time. Therefore, the key to improving at any age is to change the current conditions and circumstances that you subject your mind and body to!

It sounds simple, right? Well, not exactly! When it comes to conditions and circumstances, most people don’t know what to change or how to change them. You might ask, “Aside from eating better and exercising more… what EXACTLY must I do to be dramatically healthier and happier than I am now by this time next year?” This is a great question, and the best way to start creating more health and happiness in your life!

First things first, long term happiness greatly depends on being healthy and staying healthy. Therefore, you must recognize that increasing your state of health is where to start this process. The typical New Year Resolution of getting to the gym more and starting some silly diet program is no longer going to ‘cut it’.

So, where do you start improving your health? Learn more about health and disease, how your body works, what your body’s needs are, etc. In short, learn to identify as many factors, conditions and circumstances that you can control and influence to move your health in a positive direction. Easier said than done, right? Well, if you are taking advantage of the health workshops, seminars, audio recordings, and weekly newsletters that we produce… you are on the right track. If you are not ‘plugged in’ to our education system – you need to visit the front desk and get ‘plugged in’ ASAP!

For the last several years, I have continued to get wiser in the ways of personal health management. I have become stronger, more flexible, more fit, more ergonomically correct, etc. This was my goal for me, and it has become our goal for you. If I can do it – so can you!

Speak up and educate others,

Dr. Craig Burns

"The difference between being healthy versus unhealthy, lies in a person's level of determination"